Not A Book Review: Unlimited Power (Tony Robbins)
Now that you’ve recovered from my feature image where I pretended to be reading, we can move on.
I’m the kind of girl that derives pleasure from reading happily ever afters or any book that ups the saturation of life.
So if you told me a month ago I’d be reading self help books during lockdown instead of catching up on more trashy books, even though I need all the help I can get, I’d throw my train wreck drama books at you. (I wouldn’t.)
But here we are, going on my fourth self help book. I must say that I’m riding out this phase pretty impressively for someone that hates reading books that make actual sense.
Even if you don’t want to read my thoughts, I’ve still got you. I’ve included pictures directly taken from the book. I promise you something will strike in one of those atleast.
UNLIMITED POWER: By ANTHONY ROBBINS.
1) Modelling great personalities: If you were to sit, stand, talk, eat, breathe, sleep like any great person that you aspire to be, it is believed that you’re putting yourself in their ‘state’.
2) Language of love: We as humans respond using five modalities- visual, auditory, kinesthetic, gustatory or olfactory. Of those, the first three are used predominantly.
It’s no secret that during the courtship days of a relationship, we give in a lot to it. The ‘honeymoon phase’ is real. As you become more comfortable in the said relationship, your dominant modality takes over.
For example: In the beginning of our relationship, the two of us would show each other love by gifting things (Visual), saying I love you’s and sweet nothings (Auditory), sneaking in touches every now and then (kinesthetic) and so on. But I as an individual might actually use the visual modality more and as the relationship progresses, I do things that show love and like receiving things or being ‘shown’ that I’m loved. (Visual)
However, my person might be an ‘auditory’ person who likes listening to I love you’s and sweet nothings and does the same back.
Do you see how this could cause conflict? I might feel he no longer loves me because he doesn’t ‘SHOW’ me I’m being loved but ‘TELLS’ me he loves me. I wouldn’t understand because I’m using my visual modality and I don’t ‘SEE’ his love. He might feel I no longer love him because I don’t ‘TELL’ him as frequently as I ‘SHOW’ him the love. Since he uses his auditory modality dominantly he finds a lack of it from me. This is why learning each other’s modality is important.
3) Congruency: Let’s see how I understood this- Say you’re an advertiser and I come to you to bid on my site or run advertisements on my site. If I were to tell you I’m raking in enough people that would view my site and that I believe my work is ‘ABSOLUTELY AMAZING’, would you believe me? Would you believe me if I was saying that I’m doing good but personally, I don’t feel like I am because of the way I sit like I have no interest, the way I talk with no confidence, my face that doesn’t look like I know what I’m doing?
This is me being incongreunt. Would you still be confident in me?
To get something, you’ve got to be congreunt. You’ve got to believe in it with everything you have and show that you do. It starts with you.
4) Food habits: Even though I’ve been studying medicine seriously for close to three years, this particular section blew my mind. The author highlights how effective breathing enhances lymph circulation which carries out most of your toxins. How eating meat isn’t necessarily all that great of a source of protein. (I was howling at this point because I absolutely love non-vegetarian food and he calling me out for it.) How certain age old combinations of food actually might be the things causing problems. How eating water rich foods are the way to go and when you should be eating fruits. For more on it: Click here.
5) Communication and Rapport with people: Here’s where I think a little bit of manipulation and sort of hypnosis comes into play.
Rapport– building a nice rapport with people determines how the communication goes. Sometimes, just your face gives off ‘nasty vibes’ and so, you could be denied the chance of making a new impression, a real one. This is where ‘mirroring’ comes into play.
The author talks about how ‘mirroring’ the person you’re talking to will make him feel like y’all are the same people- sitting the way he does, using his tone, using his pitch, cocking your head in the same direction. Whilst this does make sense and does give a sort of comfort knowing I’m talking to someone similar, this just feels odd if I knew I was being subject to this kind of manipulation even though nothing bad might come out of it.
6) Tapping into multiple options:
7) Giving back: This is going to pinch a little but….. Up until this point the formula for your money, according to my knowledge was 50-30-20 (50%- necessities, 30%- luxury, 20%- saving) But having read the book, that formula changed. I don’t necessarily try any of these because I’m at home and I have zero expense on me from my pocket at this point but, if you can try these, why not right?
70-20-10 (70%- necessities and whatever, 20%- savings, 10%- give back.)
Here’s how it’s portrayed– You give back to the source you got it from. The world gives you money. Dollar bills don’t rain on you randomly. Use a portion of that to give back to the world. Find someone in need, help in fixing them. Giving back was so well described in this book, I might’ve shed a tear.
If you do get around to picking this book up after reading this, you should know that it was because of MY thoughts, not because you were told what the entire book is about. This is MY understanding of the book, whether it be the same as the author intended or not.
Here’s why you should read Unlimited Power:
a) It’s a workbook of sorts. It doesn’t just make you feel empowered, it tells you how to get things done. It helps you ‘walk the talk’; provided you give it a fair chance.
b) Apart from the things that I spoke about, you have much more important things you can learn from there – success, putting your values straight or even recognizing them, anchoring so you can bring back your most resourceful states over and over again, a part where you can consciously deal with certain mental health issues and SO MUCH MORE.
This post contains amazon affiliate link. For more on the affiliate marketing on my site: Disclosure Policy.
I want to leave you with one final thing that I read recently in a book: When a writer decides to write a book (Take the case of a best seller) he does a lot of research. He reads tens and hundreds of books and materials to give you the juice of it all. He picks the best and eliminates the rest. So next time you pick up a book or think of it, know that you’re getting the best.
Trust the books you read and read more.
Help your girl out here a little and take the poll given below, please.
Thanks for reading 🙂